Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I love traveling and going on vacations. Getting away from it all, relaxing, and experiencing new things are among my favorite things to do. But, hands down, the part I enjoy the most is coming home. There’s just something about our house, our bed, our routine, that I crave. Always, on the last day of any vacation, I will wake up in the morning and say “Today we get to go home!”


Last week, I had to attend a conference in Long Beach for work. Since Roger had some time off, we decided to make a little vacation out of it. We drove down to LA on Saturday morning and stopped in Valencia to visit Stacy. Sunday, we drove to Sunset Beach where we did some shopping and found the best little Greek food stand that made baklava milkshakes! Yum! Monday, we headed a few miles north to Long Beach, went to the Aquarium of the Pacific and discovered another Greek restaurant with the most delicious food I’ve ever eaten. The conference started on Tuesday, so while I was attending briefings, Roger and Kaelyn were able to go shopping and hang out at the beach. The weather wasn’t the best, but they had a good time. They even discovered a bookstore where everything was $1. We were able to get several children’s books and cookbooks. Thursday late afternoon, after the conference, we headed back home. And of course, by that time, I was really looking forward to it. We got home around 11:30pm and all of us pretty much passed out. Kaelyn slept the best she had all week that night.

Our time home was short lived…about 12 hours max. Friday morning, we got up early and started packing for our annual rafting trip. Roger had a quick repair job that morning, so most of the prep work was up to me. Luckily, Kaelyn slept in and even went down for her morning nap at the regular time, making it much easier for me to pack our things. We spent the next three days camping. The weather was perfect, but the river was low. I rafted for half a day and managed to get thrown out of the boat when we hit a rock too hard. Again, Sunday afternoon, when we packed up to leave, I was more than happy. I had Monday off too, so Alan and Jennifer were able to stop by for the day and hang out. They’ll be back next weekend too, which I’m really looking forward to.

Now, things are back to normal. Kae is on her regular routine, which means all of us are resting easier. Our front courtyard is done and it’s beautiful! So, not only do we get to enjoy being home, but we have a new project completed to enjoy on top of it. It couldn’t be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment