Monday, October 4, 2010

New Toys

I have never been quick to jump on the technology bandwagon.  I didn't have a DVD player for years after DVDs were pretty much the only thing you could rent or buy and the only reason why I finally switched over is because my VCR broke and I won a new DVD player at a Christmas party I attended.  I've never had a iPod, iPhone, or i-anything.  I'm not even sure what an MP3 is.  The TV I had when I got married was archaic.  Before Roger brought in the flat screens, I happily watched TV on a 29" box tv I bought while I was in college.

When I was in the AF, I was given a palm pilot (I think).  When I left the AF, I opened my desk drawer and gave it to my replacement...brand new, still in the box.

Cell phones are just another thing that I'm not fast on.  I didn't even own one until I was in Japan, and then only got it because Stacy did and I went with her to pick it up. It only made phone calls.  I started texting regularly about two years ago.  Roger and I signed up for a family plan and we got phones with full keyboards.  Before then, I refused to write anything with numbers on a phone...and I mean, seriously, texts seem like a step back from actually talking to someone and hearing their voices live! 

Anyway, it's safe to say that I'm a little behind the power curve when it comes to technology.

At our garage sale last weekend, I lost my cell phone.  I'm pretty sure it was stolen, but I did give it to Kaelyn to play with just before it disappeared for good. I wasn't that heartbroken about it.  The phone was starting to be a very big source of anger for me.  Shutting off at random times, not holding a charge, dropping calls, etc.  It had some features to allow me Internet access that I never used.  I wanted a new one...a simple one that just made phone calls.  That's it.

Saturday, after a full day of hanging out with Vickie (me an Kaelyn) and working on getting the rental cleaned up (Roger), we finally made a trip to Verizon to get me a replacement.  Truthfully, I kind of enjoyed my week without a cell phone, but with the world revolving around them, it was inconvenient at times...so, a new cell phone it was.

Roger and I were both eligible for upgrades, so we decided to each get a new phone.  I told the guy.  "Calls only."  He did his job. By the time we were done, our new phones (the Droid) has Internet access, apps (a new slang word for me), navigation, full keyboard text, touch screen, talks to me, and yes, even makes phone calls!

Yesterday, I downloaded applications that count my calories, WW points, give me weather updates all around the world, GPS navigation system, and a bar code reader (that was really fun to play with).  We went shopping to buy some baby gates and a highchair for Kaelyn.  I scanned the high chair to read instant reviews and get coupons.  I checked my email, thought about updating the blog, and got turn by turn directions to get a different store than the one we normally go to.  All from my phone!  The only thing I didn't do was make a phone call.

I'm still not super excited about the latest and greatest technology, but I will admit that I love my new phone.  I'm pretty sure once the novelty of it wears off for me, I won't use the features as much...will probably be back to just calling and texting, but it is fun to play with right now. 

In other news, Kaelyn is very close to walking...she also decided that in the meantime, she will do a real crawl (before it was army crawls and rolls).  She's super speedy and hard to keep up with.

Friday night, Roger and I went to Esther and Lester's wedding.  It was beautiful....and sort of a date night for us since we didn't bring Kaelyn.  She and Vickie and the dogs had a great time though...and so did we.  It was wonderful, exhausting, and exciting all at the same time. 

Here's to the start of another busy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment