Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Birthday

Yesterday was my 35th birthday.  Not really a milestone, but I guess sort of.

The day started out a little normal. Kaelyn had her one year checkup.  Roger has been taking her lately, but I wanted to go this time.  I actually enjoy them and missed going.  She is doing great!  But, she had to get some pretty painful shots, which broke my heart.  I was the one that had to hold her down.  She looked up at me with her sad eyes and her boo-boo lip and I wanted to cry too.

After the appointment, we both had to go to work.  Roger gets the pleasure of taking Kaelyn with him sometimes.  This makes me jealous and I was feeling that way even more yesterday.  The thing is, though, once I get to work, it's a sprint.  Yesterday was no different.  I rarely have to think about home...though I catch myself doing it often.

After work, Roger met me downtown.  He had planned a sushi dinner with my best friends here in Sac, Vickie and Klara.  Since I weighed in during lunch and discovered I lost another 3.5 lbs (yeah) I totally relaxed and just enjoyed myself.  We racked up a pretty big bill, but it was fun.  What's so great about these dinners, is that I'm really the only one, out of the four of us, that likes sushi...and I love it!  But my friends and Roger don't.  Even though they can get other food there, it's still pretty nice that on my birthday, they go to my favorite place and try my favorite foods even though it's not all that appetizing to them.  Pretty great....especially considering I won't eat peas for anyone (it's the only food I truly don't like).

For my birthday, Roger got me a maid (and flowers...lilies, my favorite). He also bought me a crock pot (the one he wanted to get Vickie for her birthday...and one that I told him I wanted).  I know what most people think.  A husband shouldn't get his wife a crock pot and a maid.  He needs to by jewelery or something else.  Well, I'm different.  I get jewelery from my family.  They live in Greece and can get it easier than us here.  I have more jewelery than I'd ever wear.  It's a waste for anyone else to get it for me.  But, here's what was on my birthday wish list:  A house cleaning service, a crock pot, and an apron.  I got it all, plus a sushi dinner.  Not bad!  I guess I'm not like other women.  I don't get all bent out of shape about him getting me something I would never get myself.  I want the things that I want.  I love to cook and I like things clean.  It's pretty simple with me.

If it sounds like I'm getting defensive, it's because someone said this to me yesterday.  Before I even got my presents.  I told her what I wanted and she wrinkled her nose and said "A maid?  That's insulting!  He should by you jewelery and clothes"  Well, I'm not skinny yet.  He can buy me clothes when I'm skinny and I already explained the jewelery thing.  I love to cook and I love a clean house.  I do most of the housecleaning...it's a trade off for Roger doing all the home improvement projects  I want.  I really like having someone come in every now and then and really deep clean the house...but that's pretty expensive...over $250 for our entire house.  We don't get to do it that often, and I'm really looking forward to it again.  We don't spend that kind of money frivolously.  So, to have him set that aside and get me a maid is a pretty big deal.

Anyway, enough of that.  I have a busy two days ahead of me as we get closer to the end of the fiscal year.  Then I'm taking Friday off.  Overall, it will be a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment