Thursday, September 16, 2010

Birthdays Galore

This week is all about birthdays.  So many of them that I feel like I have to break the blog down into a mid-week and end of week summary.  This week alone, we have Vickie, Lance and Michele's birthday's, Kaelyn's birthday party, a Virgo Birthday party, and a bachelor party (which I know has nothing to do with actual birthdays).

Monday, after work, I had to get my car smogged (ok smog checked...one of the joys of living in California).  I also needed to go shopping for birthday cards and presents...having focused so much of my time getting ready for Kaelyn's upcoming birthday means that I've neglected all my other friends.  I feel sort of bad about that, but not really considering that I'll probably never be so organized with Kaelyn's birthday again, and I'm pretty sure that the times of me being well prepared for birthday month are also gone for good.  Besides, I got it all done so far.

Anyway, I had a brilliant idea that I would drop my car off at the smog place after work and have Roger come pick me up so we could go shopping together, then pick up my car and go home.  What I didn't realize, is that it literally only takes 15 minutes to do the smog test.  Since my car was new when I moved here six years ago, I didn't need a test, so I had no idea.  Roger apparently did know, but didn't tell me for some odd reason (because that seems like one of the things he would normally tell me).  So, the smog place was completely finished with my car and gave it back to me just as Roger pulled up. 

We decided to go to Target because, well, that's where I go for just about everything lately.  The thought behind Roger shopping with me was that he would save me some time by helping me make decisions or at least splitting up our friends and shopping separately.  I don't know why I thought this since shopping with Roger usually feels like I'm with a 10 year old.  It took forever!  He wanted to get Halloween candy over a month early.  (He says so that it's out of the way, but I know it's so he can eat it all...mark my words, we'll be buying more before Halloween).  Then, he wanted to look at the sale racks.  After 45 minutes, we finally got around to actually shopping for our friends.  At that moment, Roger informed me that it takes him forever to pick out cards and has no ideas or opinions on what to get anyone else.  Exasperating!  After another hour, he suggests that we buy Vickie a crock-pot cook book.  I let him know that she rarely cooks and probably doesn't have a crock pot.  He then decided to call Vickie and ask her weird questions about crock pots and after that call, decided we should also buy her a crock pot.  Instead, we bought her a necklace and I got a crock pot.  By then, I was starving, so I went into "super efficient Beth" mode and ran around getting everything else, found the fastest moving line, and got us out of there.   Then, Roger says to me "You know, if you just came here by yourself, you'd probably be home by now and I would have had dinner ready for you."  Really?  I swear sometimes he does this to me on purpose.

Tuesday night, was Vickie's birthday dinner. Roger spent a lot of time trying to gauge whether or not the crock pot would have been a welcome gift.  He's so fixated on this.  I bet he suggests we buy her one for Christmas too.  The dinner was great fun.  It happened to be just after I weighed in (lost another 4 lbs), so I was feeling pretty relaxed about just enjoying the dinner.  Kaelyn was with us and blessedly very well behaved the whole time...even though we stayed out past her normal bedtime. 

Yesterday, was Lance's birthday, but he likes to celebrate that at his annual Virgo party...that is this weekend, so instead, Roger and I went to the mall after work to get Kaelyn's birthday pictures taken.  We spent quite a bit of time there since our appointment was at 6 and we got there at 4, but Kaelyn stayed in a good mood the whole time.  We got some cute pictures, but I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed.  I don't know why exactly.  They are cute (because she is) but, to me, they looked like pictures we could have taken.  And I don't think they captured her magnificent eyes and long eyelashes.  Still, we ordered a lot and I'm sure I'll change my mind about them soon enough. 

Today, is Michele's birthday, but since her party is tomorrow, we actually have a night that we're not doing anything birthday related...except for shampooing the rugs.  And we wouldn't be doing that if it weren't for Kaelyn's party on Sunday and the absence of any time to clean carpets between today and then.

Tomorrow, we are going to Michele's for her birthday celebration.  Saturday, Vickie and I will be making cookies and fondant for Kaelyn, Roger will be going to a bachelor party, and Kaelyn and I will be going to the Virgo party.  Lance has always included me in the Virgo party because my birthday so close to everyone else's, but I'm technically a Libra.  At least this time, I'll be bringing a real Virgo with me!  Sunday, is Kaelyn's birthday party, her actual birthday is the following Tuesday and exactly one week later, is my birthday...followed by Stacy's two days later.  By the time we get to mine, I'm usually done with birthdays all together.  Now that we throw Kaelyn's in the mix, I'm even more averse to having any sort of celebration for just myself.  It's too much.  If I'm sick of it, I'm sure everyone else is too.  Oh well...I just won't age anymore.   For the next 50 years, I'll stay 34 and be a medical miracle.  Great plan!

...........

I noticed that when I'm on my personal blog page, it says this is my 79th post...but the blog roll seems to be stuck on 75...wonder which posts are missing or are they?  I only count 75, so some of them must disappear.  I wonder what will happen when I post this...will it say 76 for once?  Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment