Monday, September 13, 2010

Patriot Day and a Jazz Party

This weekend was really busy.  After an extremely busy and crazy work week, I was looking forward to some time to relax.  That didn't come until later Sunday night, but at least I was prepared for a crazy weekend this time. 

Roger worked late on Friday and didn't get home until just before 7:30.  By then, Kaelyn was more than ready for bed.  She's been going to bed a little earlier lately due to how cranky she's been.  I think another tooth is on the way.  She got this way when the first one broke skin.  But, she's also going through a growth spurt, so that could be the culprit too.  After Kaelyn was asleep, Roger and I spent the rest of the night cleaning the house.  Fun times were had by all!  Ok, not.  We were exhausted after that and went to bed early ourselves...Friday night mayhem...whatever.

Saturday was crazy.  Roger had to meet a contractor at one of the construction sites he'll be working on soon in the morning and Kaelyn and I had a million errands to run....including going to the post office to pick up her birthday package from my mom.  That was not the best idea I ever had!  First, it was huge...and trying to carry a baby and large awkward package to my car was not the easiest thing I ever did.  Add to that, the fact that Kaelyn thought it would be fun to practice her drumming on the big box while we were transporting it...well, let's just say that luckily nothing was breakable inside.  When I had to choose between dropping her and dropping the box, I chose the box...I'm a great mom aren't I?

We got home in time for lunch.  Putting away groceries, making lunch for the three of us, and getting ready for guests at the same time...what fun.  Kaelyn also used that exact time to practice climbing the stairs for the first time.  Roger had to finally stop helping me and play with her just so we could rest a little easier that she wouldn't kill herself. 

Vickie arrived around 1 and her and I left for a trip to Michael's and Target to buy birthday supplies for Kaelyn.  That was actually a break for me, because Roger stayed home to put Kaelyn down for a nap, make the chicken wings for the Jazz party, and put snacks out for our guests....all who arrived around 4.  Our house was the meeting place for a caravan up to a winery in Camino where we were having a very big, end of summer Jazz party.  Roger and I went to this same party last year, one day before Kaelyn was born.  Because there were over a 100 people going to this thing, there were several pre-parties set up around Sacramento for people to meet at, get to know one another and drive up together.  Our group was pretty great...we were enjoying our convesation so much, that we actually left 40 minutes later than we were supposed to....my fault for talking instead of getting ready.

The party itself was wonderful.  We started it with a moment of silence and pledge led by Roger, then good music, good food, dancing and friends.  Kaelyn came with us.  She ate dinner, then spent about an hour being passed around all our friends and getting all the attention she loves.  After that, she easily fell asleep and we were really able to enjoy some adult time.  We got home at midnight...exhausted and sleepy.  Bed was immediate.

Yesterday was pretty mellow, but still packed.  We slept in, then decided to go to the Home Show downtown.  For the first time ever, we didn't get anything!  It was great restraint on our part, especially considering all the home projects still on our list.  We got home late in the afternoon, and I immediately started cooking dinner (Salmon and steamed green beans...the Salmon needed marinating time).  We ate, called Roger's mom to talk about our upcoming trip to Ohio, put Kaelyn to bed, and then finally got to sit down and relax.  We watched 2 hours of tv together...until Roger fell asleep, started snoring, and woke me up...I guess 2 hours was too long for both of us.  I slept well and am now ready for another crazy week.  It will be busy this week, both at work and at home.  Will have lots to write about.

For now, I'll sign off with Kaelyn's latest favorite word. "Bob"...

No comments:

Post a Comment