Monday, September 6, 2010

Yes, We're Greek!

Well, not really.  I'm half Greek, which makes Kae one quarter Greek...out of three of us, we don't even make one whole Greek person, but, we're Greek enough for other Greeks...and that's Greek enough for us!

Saturday evening, Roger, Kaelyn, Vickie and I went to the Greek Festival.  We had never been before and thought it would be fun to walk around the convention center, get our dinner, and be inundated with all things Greek.  It's funny to me how the vendors and other patrons reacted to us.  Sacramento has a huge Greek population...one that I never really integrated myself into.  Most of them were at this festival, it seemed.  The non-Greeks made up a much smaller population of people at the festival.  Anyway, most vendors would see us approach and be happy that we were willing to be taught about how great the Greek culture is.  They were so happy to see us and answer our questions and give us their food.  But, when we mentioned that I'm Greek, the joy was really there..."Oh!  You're Greek!!!  And the baby is Greek!!"  Greeks just love other Greeks.

While we were there, we met a very nice woman named Popi (the same name as my Grandmother) who made ceramic pottery.  Here work is absolutely beautiful and she was very happy to tell us all about it (well, as much as she could with her limited English and my even more limited Greek).  Roger decided to ask her to make me a completely enclosed ceramic paper towel holder...because I hate looking at the paper towels on the counter.  She had never made one, but was willing to try.  We described it to her, drew a sketch, and then decided to tell her that I'm Greek...that sealed the deal.  I can't wait for this piece!  And I love Roger more than anything for thinking of it!

We didn't stay too long..we were all tired, but we had a good time, a good meal, and felt it was worth the $3 it cost to get in.

Before the festival, I attended a bridal shower for a friend who's soon to be married (obviously).  This was a cooking themed shower and we even got to go back to a professional kitchen and make our own appetizers!  It was a lot of fun, but it added to a pretty full day, so I was very tired by the time we made it home and went to bed right away.

Yesterday was nice and relaxing.  We had originally thought that we would be taking a day trip.  Kaelyn woke up at 4am (of course), and when she went back to sleep, so did I.  We both got up at 8 (Roger was already awake) and had some breakfast (Kae's second helping).  We started doing some things around the house that needed done...laundry, dusting, etc.  By the time we were ready to get ready, it was lunch time and neither of us felt like taking any kind of long trip. 

Instead, we went to the Mediterranean market...which was an inspiration from the Greek festival.  We got a whole chicken to put on the rotisserie and some lamb chops....all of which we plan to cook today as a base for our meals this week.   Besides the lamb chops, I plan on making some soup with the extra pieces of lamb the butcher cut off the rack for us.

I'm happy to be sitting here, somewhat doing my Monday morning routine, but knowing that I have the day off...it makes this time even more relaxing.

Coffee is calling....so, for now, I'm off.

No comments:

Post a Comment