Monday, March 7, 2011

Spring Plantings

I love the start of a new season.  Each season of the year brings with it fun events, traditions, outings and holidays.  As the season's start to change, I tend to get excited about what's to come. 

Even though it's still technically winter and although it's still raining off and on (I guess we'll have to put up with that for a few more weeks), signs of spring are already here.  The cherry blossoms are blooming, the weather is gorgeous, and my favorite...the annuals and perennials are for sale!  The good weather makes me happy and I always feel like celebrating it; especially right after winter.  I appreciate the warm days so much more when I haven't experienced it in a while.

This weekend, Roger, Kaelyn and I decided to get our flowers, herbs, and vegetables and start preparing for the spring plantings.  To be fair, as much as I love filling the pots with bright flowers and placing them around the patio, and as much as I love having an herb and vegetable garden, I don't do much to take care of them.  Before Roger came along, I had to live with a longing for these things I never fulfilled.  And watching him, this weekend, plant the flowers and herbs and measure out where we'll put the raised garden, made me fall in love with him all over again. 

While we were planting, Kaelyn ran around the backyard and played with Buckeye and her wagon.  She seemed to love rolling around the grass the most.  Watching her reminded me of how much I loved doing the same thing when I was a kid and it brought back a lot of good memories of my childhood; simple, unexpecting joy. 

We rounded out the day with a visit from Vickie and her dog, Max.  They joined us for dinner and a late movie. 

Sunday it rained pretty much all day, so we spent most of the day inside in our PJs.  I believe, this was the last rain for the entire week!  I'm looking forward to a relatively quiet work week (it never really is) and next weekend.  Rob and Elisa, my old friends from when I was stationed in North Carolina, are coming for a quick visit!

........................

Also, I did get good news on Friday from both my coworkers.  My friend's nephew was going through some testing, but he is stable. It looks like he'll be just fine.  And my other coworker made it through her heart surgery with few complications (though there were some).  No stints needed, just some extra rest and relaxation.  Praise God that they are both ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment