Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July Weekend

I can't believe how fast this year is going.  It's already July and we already had our annual 4th of July party.  It's crazy.  I got to start the weekend a little early on Friday due to the long weekend.  I met up with Roger and Kaelyn at our friend's house, where Roger is renovating the kitchen and Kaelyn got to go for her first swim.  I wasn't sure how she'd handle it because, truthfully, she's not that into her baths.  She doesn't seem scared of the water, but no matter how many toys I give her or how fun I try to make it, she's always just OK with bathtime.  Friday was different.  I don't know if it was the actual swimming or the attention she got from all the kids, but she had a blast.  Laughing and splashing, she looked right at home in her little floatie.  We'll definitely have to do that again.

We didn't do that much on Saturday.  I cleaned the house and Roger worked outside.  I'm glad for the day of quiet, because the rest of the weekend was anything but.  Our 4th of July party is one of my favorites that we do, but it is also exhausting.  Roger loves fireworks and we go all out with getting as much as we can.  The show he puts on in our neighborhood rivals what the City does in the local parks and normally, our neighbors all just end up coming to our yard to watch him go (or just look from their windows).  Before all that though, is the BBQ, where once again, Roger goes all out.  Tri-tip and brisket, corn on the cob so sweet, no butter or salt is needed, potato salad (my creation) and so many delicious desserts brought over by our friends. 

This year, we also had friends visit with an 11 month old girl, Katie.  Katie and Kaelyn really had fun together.  I was apprehensive about how they would handle the fireworks and as much as I'd love to say that they were thrilled with the show, I can't.  Neither one of them made it.  Playing together and getting all the attention from their adoring fans just wore them out completely.  Katie went home before the show and Kaelyn went to bed.  She was so sound asleep that the noise didn't even stir her.

After the fireworks, we had a jam session with Roger and our friend Mark.  They sounded really good together and we made the decision that we'll actually hold these regularly.  By the time everyone left and we cleaned up, it was close to 2am.  Roger and I went to bed exhausted.

Monday was even more tiring for us.  We got up early and met with friends to go to Great Adventure.  Kaelyn was happy to be there with all the bright colors and music.  Since we had plenty of people with us, we were all able to take turns staying with Kaelyn while we rode the roller coasters.  We saw the whale show, visited sharks (Kaelyn's favorite) and toured the butterfly house (her second favorite).  We didn't leave until 8pm, and by the time we stopped for dinner, dropped everyone off at home and got home ourselves, it was after midnight.  Kaelyn had already been out for hours and I'm surprised I even made it to bed before I passed out.

This morning, I'm feeling the after effects of a jam packed weekend.  Kaelyn's ultrasound is this morning.  I hope that they can see everything they need with the ultrasound alone and I really hope it shows nothing.  I'm pretty sure that she is OK after speaking with several people and doing my own research, but I won't feel completely better until we have the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment