Sunday, July 25, 2010

Railroad Museum and Ice Cream Safari

Yesterday was pretty jam-packed.  After breakfast, we met Vickie at the Railroad Museum in Old Sac.  I had never been there before and I have to say I'm very impressed.  I had no idea the history and the attention to detail in that place.  I think I'll take my Dad there the next time he comes to visit. 

We got an awesome tour by George, who coincidentally is a carbon copy of my high school homeroom teacher Sgt. George S.  I seriously contemplated asking if it was him...except I know it's not because Sgt. S is happily in Florida right now...thanks to Facebook, I know that for a fact.  I do wonder, though, if they are twins separated at birth and ironically (no coincidentally is a better word) both named George.

 After the tour, we took our time going into the different train cars...refrigeration, dining, steam engine, etc.  They had everything.  My favorite was the sleeping car that moved, had sounds, and lights in the windows to make it feel and sound like we were actually riding in the train.  The second floor was dedicated to train sets and toys.  There was an awesome train village set up that we looked at for hours.  The detail was amazing.  This museum inspired us to get a train set to run around our Christmas tree.

After the museum, we grabbed some lunch at a nearby cafe and sat outside watching people and kids walk by.  We saw a tour for underground Sacramento pass by us and decided that has to be next on our list of things to do in town.

We headed out to the ice cream safari at 3:30.  The zoo opened up at 4, but the lines were already a mile long to get inside.  Luckily it moved fast and we were inside, eating popsicles in a matter of minutes.  The zoo teamed up with Baskin Robbins and they had different booths around the zoo where we could get as much ice cream as we could eat, for free.  It was 100 degrees yesterday, so the cool ice cream, and coke products were a welcome treat.  Another fun discovery is that Kaelyn now waves.  She spent two hours at the zoo doing nothing but waving to the other patrons.  It made her happier than the animals ever could.

We got home around 8pm, and put Kaelyn straight to bed.  She didn't have her normal naps yesterday and she was exhausted.  Our neighbors were having a party, which is unusual.  I don't think, in the five years I've been in this house, I've ever seen them with visitors....but, I admit I don't pay a lot of attention, so they probably do have a normal amount of visitors.  It sounded like they were having a pretty good time and I did wonder if the noise would keep us up (it didn't).  I made some sandwiches for me and Roger, so we wouldn't go to bed with just sugar running through our system.  We tried to watch some tv and relax.  We relaxed so much that the next thing I remember is Kaelyn waking me up at 5:30 this morning.

Today I have about 100 loads of laundry to do and need to get started, so I'm not still washing clothes late tonight.  We are going to Lowe's later to look at outdoor ceiling fans and I need a new book to read since I finished the Harry Potter series that Roger bought me for our anniversary (Yes, I am that much of a nerd).  I think I'll clean the kitchen floors again today, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment