Saturday, January 30, 2010

Ode to an Impulse Buy

I love Saturday mornings...it has always been my favorite time of the week. And even now, that I start them with a 4am feeding, it's still the time that I can just sit back, relax, and not DO anything. The only thing that makes the moment (husband feeding daughter) more perfect is my big cup of Kona coffee.

Which leads me to impulse buys. I am the proud owner of a Jura Compressa coffeemaker (I say me instead of we, because I bought it before we married and I'm that attached to it). At the touch of a button it produces cup after cup of perfectly pressure brewed coffee, with that wonderful layer of crema on top. I can go to it at any time of the day and get whatever I want... coffee, cafe Americana, latte, cappuccino, espresso...faster and cheaper than Starbucks ever could. It cleans itself, heats up in seconds, and speaks five languages! I love this thing!

It was expensive. Around $2000 expensive. I bought it before the marriage and baby. Back in the days when I could drop $2K on a coffee maker and not think twice (ok, I probably thought twice). In the days, where I could take a quick flight up to Oregon to visits friends and buy something like that tax free.

Roger also loves coffee and he loves my coffee maker (maybe more than I do). He once told me how happy he was that I own it...and then added that he was even happier that I bought it before we got married, because he would have a hard time paying that much for a coffee maker. Truthfully, I would never buy this coffee maker today. There is no way with all the other things we are doing...new business, new baby, that I would think it was a good investment to purchase a mini-coffee shop for for our home. But, boy do I ever love this coffee maker...

So, this impulse buy actually turned out to be perfect. I'm glad I didn't wait. I bought it at a time when I could afford to be a little extravagant...to buy a toy that is a luxury at best. I started dating Roger not long after that purchase and then we got married. Ten months later, here come Kaelyn. Life changes fast...very fast.

Because I didn't hem and haw and because I had the philosophy of "I can afford this now, I need to take advantage of my good fortune and go for it", I have something that my husband, my friends, and I all get extreme pleasure out of. To me, there is nothing better than a good cup of coffee and I can have one whenever I want. That's more than worth the $2000 I spent on it.

I'm just glad I bought it when I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment