Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Long Weekend

Roger and I had a long weekend for memorial day...five days.  We had the opportunity to "vacation" at home.  I love the concept!  No stress, relaxing, and I still feel like we went on vacation.  Old friends from my college days came into town for a visit on Friday morning, bringing their 2 1/2 year old son with them.  I hadn't seen them since my wedding day, back when their little boy was the same age as Kaelyn.  It's amazing to think how much has changed in my life (and theirs) in such  a short time. 

Although I had to go into work for a couple of hours on Friday, I still was able to spend the majority of my day with my friends.  It amazed me, really, to think back to when the three of us first met.  Alan and Jennifer had already been dating for a few years...I had just transferred to Purdue from West Point.  We instantly became friends.  The three of us hanging out both in and out of school.  Now, our numbers have doubled.  We have visited each other all over the world, attended each other's weddings, and now our children play together.

I remember one moment in particular where their son, eating blueberries, decided that he wanted to share with Kaelyn.  He walked up to her and stuck a blueberry in her mouth...she willingly took it.  It was such a small, inconsequential thing...but it symbolized a lot to me.  Evolution.  Twelve years ago, I would not have imagined that one day, my two college friends would be sitting in my backyard, across the country, with their child feeding my child blueberries.  It says a lot about how the friendship has evolved...and in such a wonderfully good way.  It also made me realize that we have grown up.  It doesn't seem possible.

We had a good weekend.  Friday we hung out at home, Roger BBQ and the kids played and got to know each other.  Saturday we took the kids to the zoo.  There, I got a glimpse of what my life will be like in 2 years.  The experience of a toddler so much different than an infant.  I both am excited and fearful...much the same as I felt when I first found out I was pregnant.  The kids wore themselves out at the zoo and we returned in the early afternoon so they could take their much needed naps.  That night was simple, go out for pizza, eat dessert, stay up late and talk. 

Sunday morning they left to visit another couple that lives in a town just south of here.  Roger and I spent the day at home with Kaelyn.  Roger caught up on work and I finished the book I was reading. We had made plans to meet everyone in San Francisco the next morning, but I got a call from another friend, Stacy, saying that she would be able to come to town for the day on her way back to LA.  We had to back out of SF, letting our other friends go without us (with their other friends), and we again hung out in Sacramento, instead, taking Stacy to the county fair.  The fair was just ok.  Typical county fair (the State fair is so much better).  It was only good because we were all together.  We ate typical fair food...which was yummy, bought our favorite candied/caramel apple, and came home completely sugared out.  Even Kaelyn, who had not eaten all the junk, seemed to have extra energy to burn off and refused to take a nap.  Stacy had to go home not long after we returned, and Roger and I, exhausted, attempted to take naps.  That didn't work out, so instead, I played with Kaelyn while Roger did some work around the house.

Tuesday morning we met back up with my college friends and their son at my favorite restaurant for breakfast, then brought them back to our house so that their son could take his afternoon nap.  We all recounted the last few days that we had spent apart, then walked next door for soft serve yogurt, with all the toppings.  They headed back to the airport after that and Roger and I returned home, feeling exhausted, satisfied, and like we had just returned from a week long vacation.  Now, we both feel like we need another day to just rest.  Instead, it's back to our normal week...whatever "normal" is...

No comments:

Post a Comment