Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Bus

When I was a brand new 2nd Lt, I was given the “very important” task of coordinating a visit with some dignitaries that were coming to see how great we AF Civil Engineers really are. The group consisted of a general, a couple of colonel’s and a NC senator. This was the first of many many visits that I headed, but it being my first, I was extremely nervous. Three days before the group was due to arrive; the airman I had assigned to drive the tour bus was in a motorcycle accident. It wasn’t serious, thank goodness, but I did find myself short a bus driver. Being the motivated LT that I was and without much time to find a competent replacement, I felt like I had no choice but to drive the bus myself. I took a competency test, and then a driving test…day and night, on and off the flight line. Two days later, I was legally licensed to operate a 40 passenger bus.


This skill (and license) was something I kept secret for the rest of my military career. I do not enjoy driving buses! And until today, I have never mentioned having this ability to anyone.

So, why now? Well, after just one day of our “new” schedule, it was clear that Roger and I could not function any longer on one vehicle. Getting up at 3:30 am just so that we can take a 40 minute drive to the baby sitter’s, a 45 minute drive to work (first mine, then his) and then repeat that drive again late in the afternoon, was unreasonable. The last two days reminded me of my schedule when I was commuting to the Bay Bridge construction sites. Roger’s 4-10’s are great for him, because he gets Friday’s off…but when I’m stuck at work that long because I’m dependant on him for transportation…and have to be at work on Friday too…well, it just wasn’t cutting it.

My car has been out of commission for three weeks and my patience with it has completely run out. Monday night, we got home at 7:30pm…after leaving the house at 5! Once Kaelyn was fed and in bed and Roger and I finally began to settle down for the evening, I told him that we either had to push for the car to be fixed in the next few days or have it towed to another mechanic. (For some background, we have a friend who owns a transmission shop that is doing us a favor in fixing my clutch, which went out…it’s taking so long because 1) paying customers come first, and 2) the dealer sent the wrong part twice). I also decided that to make it through the week and to save my sanity, I needed a rental car.

So, last night, after we picked up Kaelyn and stopped for dinner, we headed to the airport and got a rental…a GMC something or other that is huge! It happened to be cheaper than getting an economy car, so I took it, but it is just like driving a bus! It’s so wide and so long (2 rows of backseats) that it took me a good 20 minutes to get comfortable driving and turning it.

And, of course, because I broke down and rented the bus, we got a call from our mechanic friend informing us that the car would be fixed that night. If we wanted, he could drop it off in a couple of hours. I told him to forget it…we’ll pick it up sometime before Friday. Friday, I’m due to return the bus.

I’m interviewing a new baby sitter today after work (another reason why I needed separate transportation from Roger). This is a big step for me and not very easy. Kaelyn, Roger and I all love our current sitter and until now, I had always said that it was worth the 40 minute drive (one way) to her house to know that Kaelyn was with someone that I knew and trusted. The woman I’m seeing today is a stranger to me...although she comes at high recommendations of a few coworkers. But, she lives close to my work and if I can learn to trust her and Kaelyn enjoys spending time with her, then I’ll consider giving it a shot.

I have some concerns though. Aside from dealing with my anxiety for however long it will last, I’m not sure that this sitter has the ability to get Kae around other kids. Our current sitter has 5 and I really want Kaelyn to interact with children during the day. Not only for social reasons, but she’s just so happy around other children. I know that I can be more proactive in arranging play dates for Kaelyn after work and on the weekends and I will do this if I have to. I don’t really know anyone with kids Kaelyn’s age. Our neighbor has two: a three year old and a baby nine months younger than Kae. Katie, the three year old, comes over every now and then to visit Kae and Kae loves her! But this isn’t a routine thing, as Katie just decides to come over at her whim. We can see her every day for a month and then not again for another two. It just depends on her mood…and she’s three…what can we expect?

I have another option. Katie’s baby sitter who lives close to our home may have room for another child. She watches several. That would both solve the problem of the distance we drive and Kae’s interaction with children. It doesn’t solve my anxiety, but nothing but time will heal that.

I’m not sure what to do. Roger is being supportive and helpful, but he agrees that the drive right now, with his schedule being what it is, is just too long. And we always said that our number one priority is maximizing our family time, which right now is eaten up by the long drive to and from child care. Of course, this cannot come at the expense of Kae’s care and well-being and there’s where I’m having a hard time. I don’t trust easily.

I have a busy day ahead…work, then an interview with a possible sitter, then picking up Kaelyn and going grocery shopping. I’m letting Roger go straight home after work and I’ll run all the errands, because he needs to clear out our garage for his cigar club event. They are meeting at our house tomorrow. It will be another long day, but hopefully we’ll work something else out soon. At least I have the bus to help get me through!

No comments:

Post a Comment