Monday, November 29, 2010

Thankgiving

The week leading up to Thanksgiving was anything but relaxing…at least Thanksgiving day was…mostly.


The previous weekend was our first really big storm of the season. This started on Friday…the same day I had to return the bus to the airport. Somehow, I let Roger convince me that it would be faster for me to leave work a little early, drive to Folsom to pick up Kaelyn, then drive to the airport and meet him there. I had wanted him to go get Kaelyn and meet me at the airport, giving me time to get gas and return the vehicle while he was driving. I don’t know why I let him talk me into his plan. With the heavy rain, and most people in the area not knowing how to drive in it, traffic was horrendous. There were major accidents on every freeway. Roger beat me to the airport by over an hour. I left work at 3:30pm and by the time we got home it was almost 8!

The rest of the weekend wasn’t so bad. Klara postponed her move by a few weeks, so we were pretty much free to do our holiday shopping and clean up around the house. Saturday night we had dinner at Vickie’s mom’s house, but that was it as far as actual outings went. It rained all weekend, so we just stayed in, ate comfort food, and watched movies.

Monday was our anniversary. Neither Roger nor I made babysitting arrangements…sort of on purpose. I didn’t want to leave Kaelyn in Folsom and have dinner out there and our neighbors, who are our back-up date night sitters were out of town in Lake Tahoe. We decided we still wanted to celebrate, so after we exchanged our gifts (personalized aprons), the three of us went out to eat. Kaelyn’s gift to us was that she was extremely well behaved. We had a lovely evening and I was again, reminded, how blessed I am to have such a wonderful, loving, caring and devoted husband.

Tuesday night we went out to dinner again with friends. This time Kaelyn wasn’t so well behaved. She wasn’t bad, per se, but she was encouraged by some children at a table next to us to exchange in banter (yelling) and was so excited, she spilled most of her food on the floor. I was pretty happy, at that point, that there was only one more work day left for the week. Unfortunately, even that didn’t go as planned. Roger started feeling really sick on Tuesday night. He has had a sinus infection and chest congestion over the last few weeks and had even gone to the doctor about it. He was given some new inhalers and they seemed to work for a little while. Tuesday night, he started coughing and couldn’t stop. By Wednesday morning, he was short of breath and sluggish. I insisted that he go back to the doctor and he insisted that he go to work. At 8 am, he called me and said that he was having trouble breathing and had an appointment at 10. I took him to the doctor myself.

By the time we got through his appointment, got him comfortably resting at home and I got his prescriptions filled; it was time to get Kaelyn. Roger slept most of the day, but thanks to some much stronger drugs from the doctor, was feeling much better by Thursday afternoon. We were able to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner together as a family and even made it to our friend’s house for dessert that night. I’m so grateful for that!

Friday morning, Roger still wasn’t 100% so I knew he wouldn’t be up for shopping with me. Vickie broke her toe earlier that week, so she was out too. I braved the black Friday deals by myself…did not enjoy it at all, but did get most of my Christmas shopping done, which makes me extremely happy. We spent the rest of the weekend relaxing at home…save for a quick outing to Hallmark on Saturday to get our new ornaments (Roger, Kaelyn, and I all get a new one each year).

Now, we’re back to our “normal” schedule…another full week. At least now, we are all healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment