Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas

Christmas is over…finally! I shouldn’t say that though, because this year it came and went much faster than I’m used to. Where I’m normally ready for the holidays to end and things to get back to normal, this year, Roger and I were too busy leading up to it to actually fully enjoy the season.


I’m a firm believer in “Holidays should not include stress, drama, or heartache” and didn’t love that Roger and I were rushed to get the decorations up, the packages in the mail, and the presents wrapped. And while he doesn’t feel stress the same way I do, I could tell that he was getting antsy to have things settle down himself. Luckily, things did slow down the week leading up to Christmas.

We both only worked 3 days and by Wednesday afternoon I was really looking forward to a long relaxing weekend. Kaelyn and I got home first and were playing together in her room when Roger came home…with a big surprise! A few weeks earlier, at his work Christmas party, one of his coworkers brought in Jack Russell Terrier puppies. They were the cutest things and I fell in love with one in particular. We talked about it briefly and then decided to wait it out the weekend and see if the puppy was still available on Monday. That Monday night, Roger told me she had been sold…what he didn’t tell me is that she had been sold to him. And on Wednesday night she came home! We named her Buckeye and it took her all of five minutes to warm up to us and make herself at home.

The rest of the weekend was pretty non-eventful. We got to know our newest family member, went to a Christmas Eve party on Friday night, and spent Christmas day together, in our PJ’s, perfectly relaxed. Kaelyn was able to participate this year, even though she was still quickly bored. She got so many things that we ended up putting more than half away in her closet, deciding it best to let her play with a few toys now and give her some more in a month or two to keep her from getting too bored. Kaelyn also blessed us with a gift of her own…she took her first steps! I’ve been convinced for a while now that she could walk and just chooses not to when anyone is looking. She showed us this weekend that she can take a step or two. She’s not entirely confident and doesn’t go far (she doesn’t fall though). I’m giving her until the end of the week to be full out walking…heck, she’ll probably be running tonight as fast as she goes from “novice” to “professional”.

Yesterday, Vickie came over with her dog, Max, to meet Buckeye. The dogs got along great and it was nice to have Vickie over for a few hours. Now, we’re back at work. I’m looking forward to getting the decorations down and putting the house back the way it was. It’s another short week for both of us. Not sure yet what our NYE plans are, but what I do know is that whatever we do, we’ll do it together …and that is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment