Saturday, December 18, 2010

Fleeting and Unpredictable

I can't believe Christmas is in just a week!  Normally, by now, I'm ready to just get it over with...but this year, we've been so busy that I feel like I'm missing the whole season.

The calmness I felt a week ago has flittered away.  Christmas shopping is done, decorations are up, cookies are baked...Kaelyn's presents aren't wrapped, but that's not where the anxiety is coming from.  Actually, it's not even anxiety.  It's solemness.  But more on that later.

Last weekend was great.  It started with Roger's work Christmas party on Friday night.  I picked Kae up after work and we met Roger for dinner, then went to the party.   You can definitely tell that men planned this.  There was plenty of beer but no diet sodas anywhere.  Menu was deli sandwiches and cookies.  And adults were allowed in the bounce house.  Overall, it was pretty perfect.  No formality, no speeches.  A relaxing get together I'm looking forward to doing again.  Saturday, we went to Vickie's house and spent the entire day baking cookies, making candy, and decorating desserts.  When I say all day, I mean we got there at noon and got home at midnight!  Kae was an angel and not even the extra sugar turned her!

Sunday, we took Kaelyn to the mall to see Santa and finish up our Christmas shopping.  We stood in line for 1.5 hours...Kae was wonderful the whole time.  She interacted with the other kids and parents and seemed happy and excited.  When it was finally our turn, Kaelyn smiled and waved at Santa.  We had no way of knowing what would happen next.  For whatever reason, Kaelyn just wasn't into sitting on his lap and taking a picture.  She cried and reached for us.  The pictures were good, but really funny.  When we were done, she was immediately calm, smiled and Santa and said "bye bye!".  Who knows what really goes on in a child's mind.

The weekend went by too fast...as all good weekends do, but unfortunately, the euphoria didn't last through last week.  I had some contentious meetings early on and Roger had a difficult install job that made him work late (home at 7) almost every night of the week.  I thought once we got to through mid-week, things would get better, but I was wrong.  We lost another friend, much to young, much too soon on Wednesday...and found out late that night.  And while not a big surprise, we were still shocked because we didn't realize how close she was to the end.  I think she may have known, but we didn't.  It made me feel guilty for being so wrapped up in unimportant things when life is just so fleeting and unpredictable.

Of course, it's all too easy to fall back into the daily routine.  I have some errands to run this morning and Roger is finishing his shopping.  We are going to meet for lunch and then spend the rest of the day together.  We have another party tonight, but are both hoping for some quiet time at home and some relaxation this next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment