Sunday, August 22, 2010

Disjointed (but productive) Week

It's been a weirdly disjointed week.  In just one week, I've helped Roger install wainscoting and painted our hallway and kitchen, spent a full two days in Reno for work, got sick, got better, and finally baked a cake.

We are almost finished with our hallway.  All that's left is painting the trim.  We will add crown molding too, but not right away.  I think we need a break.  The kitchen had a little further to go.  Just a little bit more painting and some tile work (tiling above the cabinets).  We hope to be finished today.

It has occurred to me that anyone who reads this and hasn't actually been to our house might think that we own a fixer upper.  That is not the case.  This house was brand new five years ago and I was the first person who ever lived here.  But it's cookie cutter (well, not anymore).  I put in whatever upgrades I could afford and made sense at the time...cabinets, flooring, counter tops, and paint.  After I moved in, I made a few additional changes....all the lighting, backyard landscape, and tiled the bathrooms.  But when that was done, so was I.  I'm not a do it yourselfer and I couldn't afford to bring contractors in for every little think I wanted to change.

Since Roger has moved in, it's been different.  He's not happy unless he has a project.  Since he's lived here, he renovated for a nursery, finished the garage and made it into garage, storage, work space, and man cave, added stair access and shelves in the attic, built an outdoor kitchen and outdoor fireplace, installed a back splash in the kitchen, and now our hallway and kitchen mini-makeover.  We still have big plans for the house...crown molding in almost every room, built ins in our family room and library, hard wood flooring, adding a front porch, and a major renovation in the master bathroom.  I'm sure that by the time we finish all the work, we'll be ready to move.  That's my prediction.  Take note.

.................
I had to go to Reno again this week.  These trips can be wearing.  I miss Roger and Kaelyn like crazy when I'm gone.  Even though we left fairly early on Tuesday, we made a stop in Tahoe on the way and got into Reno pretty late.  By the time we finished dinner (sushi, yum!), it was after 9pm.  I talked to Roger for about an hour before I fell asleep and because the site visit on Wednesday ran long, and the construction traffic I described last week was still there, it was after 8pm before I got home.  Kaelyn was already asleep and it was torture not to be able to hug and kiss her when I finally got back. 

Roger and I still had a nice evening together, but it was short.  We were both tired.  I went to bed early and he continued to install the wainscoting, but I'm pretty sure he quit early himself. 

I woke up the next day with a big headache.  I went to work anyway because I had so much to do...especially, after being gone for a few days.  Unfortunately, the headache never got better and I actually ended up getting sick to my stomach.  I left work early and was zero help that night when Roger was painting and taking care of Kaelyn.  By Friday, I felt much better, was productive at work, and did a lot to help with the painting when I got home.

Yesterday, while Roger was finishing the trim and touch up, I made up for not getting to be with Kaelyn all week.  We took a trip to Lowe's to get more tile and paint (and a table saw for Roger...$200 off on clearance!), took naps, baked a cake (yes, she tried to help) and played.  And, she's now taking little wobbly steps when I hold on to her hands!  My little girl is growing so fast!

.................

I kind of want to invite my girlfriends over today.  I already baked the cake and Roger started eating it, so I can't practice with the fondant on that one, but I just want to see the girls today.  I miss getting to hang out with them all the time.  Don't get me wrong.  I love my life.  Being married and raising a child is so rewarding, but, it is rewarding in a different way than having the ability to go out with friends without any thought to time or home responsibilities.  I didn't appreciate it back then, and now I do.  I just want to see them and talk and laugh and make fun of Roger...it's what we do best!

No comments:

Post a Comment