Monday, August 30, 2010

No Sleep and Finally Made a Cake

Kaelyn normally gets up somewhere between 5:30 and 6 am.  This works out great for me, because I normally get up between 4:30 and 5 am.  I have time to wake up a little bit, take a shower, and get some coffee before feeding her.  Roger usually gets up around the same time as Kaelyn...watching her while I finish getting ready for work and getting her ready for their day together (he either takes her to work with him or drops her off at the sitter).  On the weekend, she normally gives us a bit of a reprieve...I think because I'm not getting up early and making noise.  She'll usually wake around 6:30 or 7.

For the last four days in a row, she's been getting up progressively earlier.  Friday morning it was right at 5:30, which surprised me a little bit since she went to bed a little late.  Saturday it was 5, Sunday it was 4:30, and this morning...you guessed it...4!  She finally cut a tooth (we noticed on Saturday), so I blamed that for my Saturday morning wake-up, but the last two days?  Maybe it is the tooth...she's also very very hungry in the morning.  I'm going to try to feed her more before bed and see if I can get her back on schedule.

We ended up having a very good weekend.  Roger had to go look at a job on Saturday morning, which left me and Kaelyn to our own devices.  I cleaned up while she played and then both of us went to the store to get some steaks to grill for dinner.  That afternoon, Vickie came over to encourage me while I made some fondant.  I tried a marshmallow fondant hoping it would taste better and be less waxy than the regular stuff.  I was right!  It wasn't that bad...just very very sweet.  I managed to color it without any problems and was actually feeling pretty good about it for most of the day.

Just before dinner, another friend, Lance, joined us.  That was about the time that Vickie and I decided to roll out the fondant and see what it looks like on the cake.  That part wasn't so easy.  We actually rolled it out nice and pretty, but then it stuck to the mat and we had to start over...that happened three times.  Lance, being who he is, did not miss an opportunity to goad us on and Roger got a very funny video of the whole process.  We eventually made it work and I have to say that now I feel like I can do this!  Of course, I still need more practice before Kae's birthday...maybe next weekend.

Yesterday should have been more restful, but with Kaelyn waking up early, the morning was pretty tough.  She didn't want to go back down for a nap after her breakfast.  Roger and I were just so tired too.  Eventually, she did fall asleep again, but by then, it was around 9 and we were wide awake.  We decided that it would be best to just have breakfast ourselves and watch a movie.  We ended up spending the majority of the day at Pier 1 imports and Home Depot (where Roger got some wood to make picture frames), then coming home and eating a late lunch of leftovers.  Dinner was avogolomeno (Greek lemon and egg soup) with meatballs.  Very delicious.  Now, it's back to the work week...a busy one for both of us.

Let's hope that Kaelyn starts sleeping better...

No comments:

Post a Comment