Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chaos

Anyone who knows me, even semi-well, knows I don’t function well in chaos and disorder. Even when I mentally prepare for it, I can’t seem to do it.


(Sidenote: I seem to function well under pressure. I’ve been in more than one natural disaster and military operation where chaos and disorder was the norm. I do well in that. But when everything is calm again, I need things to be orderly. It just stresses me out otherwise.)

I mentioned yesterday that we are having new floors put in our house. I’m so happy about this. I’ve wanted these floors since buying the house five and a half years ago. The guys working yesterday did an amazing job. The floors are beautiful! And they are working pretty fast. Before they left last night (at 6:30 pm), they said they want to finish today. I would love that!

But, the house is a disaster. As we were packing up and moving out Sunday night, I kept telling myself that this was temporary and necessary. Only a few days and everything would be back to normal…only better. Luckily, I can come to work as they are working. Poor Roger is home dealing with the installers and keeping a 16 month old entertained and out of the way. He does have it worse. But chaos and disorder also doesn’t affect him the way it does me.

I was so excited to come home from work yesterday. Roger had sent me pictures throughout the day of the demolition and the progress. I thought I was mentally ok with how everything would look….but I wasn’t. The house is just a mess! Our garage is packed to the brim with our furniture and the workers’ tools. Kaelyn’s room is full of flooring (she has the most floor space), and our kitchen is holding overflow furniture. As a matter of fact our kitchen is only accessible as far as the coffee pot (which we get to by walking out or bedroom, through our patio, and in through the back door.) And the dust! Oh, the dust. The house was dust free for maybe 24 hours. Now, we have to dust everything!

Last night and this morning, were both stressful, to put it mildly. The only room we can really use is the master bedroom, which also has some extra end tables, the dog crate, and a lot of Kaelyn’s toys. All things that normally aren’t there. We had our family time piled on our bed last night. Something I enjoy immensely on Saturday mornings, but not as I’m winding down for the night. And not having a time when everyone goes to their respective spaces (because ours is the only one we have), just increased the anxiety.

I didn’t sleep well, but woke up with renewed energy. Because today, it will be finished! I’m going back to Weight Watchers after work and will be home late. But, once Kae is in bed, I can start putting the house back together again. I will stay up all night if I have to. I will be tired, but again, it will be such a good tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment