Monday, February 28, 2011

Stormy Weather

A huge storm rolled through the state on Friday.    Sheet rain, hail, and snow...although if we got any snow here in the valley, I totally missed it.

The storm was severe enough that we ended up cancelling a trip to go visit Stacy down south.  Fear that the pass through the grapevine would be closed due to the snow.  I was pretty disappointed because I haven't been down there in forever...since before Roger and I got married.  And the last time I saw Stacy, Kaelyn was just a couple of months old. 

But, once the disappointment wore off and the storm clouds passed through, it ended up being a beautiful weekend...even if a little cold.  We took advantage of this and moved our new patio furniture out back on Friday night.  Though we didn't use it because it was too nippy for me...even by the fireplace.  Instead, we enjoyed some quiet time inside and even got a chance to sleep in a little on Sunday.  A couple of shopping trips rounded out our weekend.  All in all, I can't complain.

I bought the new Weight Watchers Cookbook.  It has some nice things in it, but the truth is, I'll never follow a recipe.  It's impossible.  I will look through my cookbooks or online for inspiration and then change the recipe so completely that it's funny to even claim I used one.  A good example of how I work is what happened on Saturday.  As I was watching a show on the Food Network, I decided to browse online to see if I could find anything interesting to try making for dinner.  In the end, I settled on a rack of lamb.  It looked delicious!

We went shopping, but I didn't find any lamb that looked appealing enough to spend $12/lb on, so instead we got a good looking round roast.  The intent was that I would follow the lamb recipe on the roast.  The show I had watched that morning actually was about cooking pot roast, and so, at the last minute, I scrapped the lamp recipe completely in favor of that one.  But, it was on tv that morning, and I was way too lazy to look anything up online.  I've made post roast no less than 100 times and I have my own way of doing it, but I wanted to do something different.  I tried to remember everything about the roast on the show and in the end, actually wrote an entirely different recipe that blows anything I've ever tasted before out of the water!  Delicious!  Last night we added some egg noodles to the pot and it was heaven.  Kaelyn ate so much of it...for once, she didn't even give any to Buckeye.  Made me so happy!

I have an intersting week ahead of me.  Today is supposed to be my day off, but I'm actually going to go in for a few hours around lunchtime.  Not thrilled with it, but don't hate it as much as I would have thought. 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment