Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Flex" Day

I had my first flex day on Monday.  Valentines Day.  Yeah!

We spent most of it at the Development Clinic with Kaelyn.  This is a program she was automatically enrolled in at birth because she was premature.  We are mandated to go three times and this was our second visit.  Basically, they play with her for a while and do a neurological exam to make sure that she is developing as expected and won't need additional therapy.  It's an early intervention program.  It makes me nervous to go, but I can also see the good in it.  The good thing, is that Kaelyn is doing so well.  More than she's expected to do for a baby her age that was born at term.  We go one more time in November where they will guage how well she is talking.  Of course, she is already talking very well, so I don't expect that visit will be much of a problem either.

During the visit, after the play session with the PT, the nurse came and got us for the neurological exam.  Of course, Kaelyn wanted to walk to the next room, so I grabbed her things and followed her.  In the hallway was a set of stairs that formed a pyramid.  Three going up and three going down.  These are bigger than a regular step, but not so big that it didn't tempt Kaelyn to go climb.  I knew immediately that she would try, so I called out to her to come with the rest of us.  The nurse said that Kaelyn was not ready to climb those stairs yet, and the PT said that she had not asked Kaelyn to try because she was still too small.  I laughed.  Kaelyn climbs all the way up and back down our stairs at home.  She can get on top of anything.  And, as if to prove the point herself, she climbed right on top of those stairs and down the other side!

As expected, the neurological exam showed that everything was normal.  We left there in pretty high spirits then went to meet Vickie for lunch.  After lunch, we came home for some much needed naps and pretty much relaxed the rest of the day.  Since it was Valentine's Day, we decided to watch a movie together after Kaelyn went to bed that night.  I acted like this was a special Valentine's night, even though neither Roger nor I are big into the day. After a while I realized that it was no different than every other night we hang out together.  And that's what makes it so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment