Sunday, February 14, 2010

Girls' Night Out

I grew up in a family where everyone my generation, besides me, is male. I am also in a male domintated career field, both in and out of of the Air Force. For that reason, I've always been comfortable around guys and have never considered myself the "typical girl" (whatever that means).

But because I'm so used to being the only girl, I've always appreciated really good girl friends. And I've been blessed in my life to have some amazing women friends. Strong, smart, funny and beautiful women who have taught me a lot about who I am as a woman in this world...something I don't really get from my male friendships.

I used to take for granted the time I spent with girlfriends. It was once a weekly occurance for me to go out dancing with them...we'd go to dinner, hang out at each others' houses, watch movies, and sometimes shop. There's an ease with my girlfriends that I don't get from guys. I can call them any time of the day or night and tell them a problem...they sympathize with me instead of doing the typical guy thing, which is try to fix it. And I've been able to find them wherever I live...and keep those relations up over time and great distances.

When Roger and I first became serious, I found it tough to balance my time between him and my girlfriends. Roger has always been willing to give me the time that I need and he even hangs out with us quite often, but it's a balance I haven't really gotten down. And since Kaelyn's arrival, time alone with girlfriends has pretty much disappeared.

My friends have supported me through some major changes in my life recently and as my friend, Stacy, pointed out to me on the phone yesterday...my life has changed in dramatic ways, but my friends' lives haven't. That got me thinking on how amazing it then is, that they still want to hang out with me...that they accept Roger and plan things that I can also bring Kaelyn to.

Last night, we decided to celebrate our friend, Klara's, birthday (even if a little late). We decided on dinner followed possibly by a night of dancing. And we decided to make it a girls' night. Roger and Kaelyn stayed home and I went out, for the first time since she was born, by myself. I expected to be full of anxiety. Even though I already leave Kaelyn during the day when I go to work, I've only socialized without her once...and that was on our anniversay.

But instead of anxious, I felt happy. Not to be without my husband and daughter, because I was more than thrilled to go back home to them, but because I felt like "the old Beth". We were right back where we were...talking, laughing, offering advice. It was as if the clock turned back three years. I was alreay grateful that my friendships were able to evolve with the changes in my life, but last night, I realized that it was even greater, that the evolution isn't permanent...we can go right back to being the way we've always been.

Today is Valentine's Day and it's dedicated to my family, but as promised, I will think of my friends and thank God for giving me such wonderful people to go through life with.

Vickie and Klara, I had a great time last night and hope that you did too...thank you for being the friends you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment