Thursday, February 11, 2010

Last Day of Work

Tomorrow is my last day of work here at MCM. I start with the Army Corps of Engineers on Tuesday.

Someone asked me the other day if I was excited. But I don't think that excitement is the right emotion. I'm not sure how I feel exactly. This company has been great to me and while I've worked hard and have stressed out, I've learned a tremendous amount and had a lot of fun in the last two years. I've met wonderful people and some that I will call friends for life. I will always be fond of my time here.

It was never my intention to leave. I always expected that I would spend the rest of my career here. So, it did come as a surprise when I got the opportunity to interview with the Corps and decided to go and "see what happens". I interviewed just a few days after Kaelyn was born and they contacted me with an offer just one week after I returned to work. Even then, I never thought I would take it.

But after much discussion with Roger, thinking, and praying, we decided that it was absolutely the best move I could make at this point. This job allows me to continue doing the work I love, comes with a pay increase, and the flexibility to spend more time with my family...which is the most important thing to me right now. Not to mention the stability we get in an unstable economy. For all that, I am very happy and grateful for my good fortune!

But even still, leaving MCM is hard. It's like breaking up with someone you still love...knowing it's for the best, but sad that the best thing means ending something so good.

So, while I'm sad to leave MCM and the decision did not come lightly, I am at peace with my choice. I know I'm doing the right thing...so maybe that does come with a little bit of excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment