Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Step Back in Time

My first week at the Army Corps of Engineers is done and I feel like I stepped back in time 5 or 6 years. It's amazing how removed I had gotten from the military life, but within two hours of being at the Corps, I spun right back into the land of acronyms, forms, and more acronyms. And meetings!

There are obvious differences though...I'm no longer in uniform, I don't deploy, and the acronyms are different...but overall, the atmosphere is very much like being a civil engineer in the Air Force. After briefing the Colonel yesterday, I was actually surprised when I caught my image in the mirror and I wasn't the skinny girl in fatigues.

I'm going to like this new job. I've always enjoyed project management, I get more perks (like a gym membership), and more time with my family. I worked overtime the other day and getting home late still had me in my husbands arms by 4:30...that's amazing!

I won't be talking much about work here...that's not the purpose of this blog, so now that I've made the transition, I won't mention it much.

On to different stuff. Our plans for the weekend were to work on the backyard...Roger has done a lot of work out there and it's looking good. I thought we could finish the deck on the side of the house this weekend and move on to building the fireplace and seating next weekend. But, the forcast is rain...we're hoping not too heavy, but it does look like our little project will be delayed because of it.

We made plans to go to the drive in tonight. Roger and I both love it there, but this will be the first time, since Kaelyn, that we've gone. We are going to take her. I think that I should be able to feed her and put her to sleep as soon as we get there and have her sleep through the whole thing...keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment