Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl Sunday

I'm not a big football fan...I'm barely aware of the Superbowl (although, I love the commercials). But, every year, just like millions of other Americans, I gather some place to watch the "big game"...or mainly, just eat the food and catch up with friends.

This year, that gathering place was our house. And while Roger and I don't have a small house, it's not huge either. I was a little surprised (and doubtful) when he told me that he thought we could comfortably have about 50 people over. But (never tell him I said this), he was right. We had three tv's going. One in the garage for those that wanted to smoke cigars and play poker during the game, one upstairs in our family room for those of us who weren't really watching and another one (brought out from our bedroom) in our living room for those that were actually interested in the game. In the end, we had about 30 people, but I can see how we could have easily put another 20 or 30 more in. I'm proud of both my husband and our house for being able to host so many.

Sunday morning, as we were preparing food and getting ready, the pre-game stuff was on tv. That's when I asked Roger, "Who's playing in the Superbowl?"..and lo and behold I find out that Drew Brees, a guy I knew in college, was the starting quaterback (and now MVP) in the Superbowl...that's a big deal for him and for any Purdue alma mater...but somehow that fact escaped me until the day of the game.

And just to further illustrate how "out of it" I am when it comes to the Superbowl...we apparently had a pool going. I don't understand too much about it...we had a grid and anyone could buy a square for $1...numbers were drawn and depending on the score each quarter, you could win $20/quarter. I guess I was pretty close to being the half time (maybe it was third quarter) winner, but a score at the last minute made someone else win.

Roger came running upstairs telling me that I was robbed and that $20 was taken out of my pocket. Confused, I just said "Don't be ridiculous...I never carry cash"...everyone laughed and I then had to explain some things:

1. I didn't know there was a pool going.
2. I didn't know I was in the pool (Roger must have bought be in).
3. I don't know what my numbers are.
4. I don't know the score.
5. I don't really care about the $20 one way or another.

The day was really great though. We got to hang out with good friends and even meet some new people. Our friend, Michelle, came over early and took some beautiful pictures of Kaelyn for us...I can't wait to get copies of them! In the end, I wasn't even as tired as I thought I would be. We had a relaxing and fun day and I'm definitely going to be willing to have 50 people over again in the future!

BS

No comments:

Post a Comment