Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day at the Zoo

Roger and I decided to take advantage of the great weather yesterday and took Kaelyn to the zoo. Since the backyard project is finally done (mostly), and I had to leave for Charlotte this morning, we wanted to spend Saturday with just our little family. Apparently, most people with kids had the same idea. It was packed! I had never been to the Sacramento zoo before and it has been years for Roger. Because I'm an animal fanatic, we decided to become members. We only have to go back one more time to get our money's worth.

Anyway, the weather was perfect...but, we had to walk a little over half a mile to get there. It wasn't too bad. Kaelyn was alert and looked up at the trees and birds. She wasn't too much into tha animals at the zoo and seemed more interested in the people, the brightly colored clothes, and just being outside. Still, she had a conversation with a chimpanzee, who seemed just as interested (or should I say not) as she was in him. She is such a social butterfly though. She would babble at kids and adults alike and shriek at all the excitement. About an hour into the visit, we took a break and gave her a bottle and she slept through the rest of it. I guess it was as much as we can expect from a six and half month old...I can't believe my baby is almost 7 months!

After the zoo, we walked back to our truck and got the picnic lunch we had packed that morning. We parked in a park, so we just plopped ourselves down on the grass and enjoyed our sandwiches and drinks for a late afternoon lunch. Kaelyn decided to wake up for that, and spent our lunch "talking" to us and whoever happened to walk by.

What a great day.

I left for Charlotte this morning. I'm not looking forward to spending the next five days without my family. I took this job because it allowed me more time to spend with them...but, it comes with a trade off...and that's the possiblility of these little trips. So far, I have week long training classes scheduled for one week every month. this is the only one that isn't held in Sacramento. I can't wait to go home on Friday. Roger and Kaelyn dropped me off at the airport this morning and I actually cried as I said good bye to them.

I just got off the phone with them a few minutes ago. Kaelyn is her normal happy self...I just have to keep reminding myself that this hurts me way more than it hurts her...and her feelings are really what is most important to me...

Still, I miss home and am already counting the days until I go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment