Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Weekend

I was looking forward to this Easter more than any other, mainly because it was Kaelyn’s first. Even though she’s too young, still, to understand the Easter Bunny, egg hunts, etc, I still went through the motions. My mom sent her a large Easter package filled with spring clothes, a cute dress, and stuffed bunnies. I bought her an Easter basket and Friday night, we died eggs to go in them. I also filled it with chocolate/peanut butter eggs, Cadbury cream eggs, and jelly beans…all of which were really for Roger. After she went to bed Saturday night, I added her stuffed animals to the rest of the goods and went to bed with visions of her a couple of years from now, waking up on Easter morning, rushing to see what the Easter Bunny left her and excitedly going outside and hunting the eggs that Roger and I hid the night before.

I’ll have to wait for that, because this year she acted like she does every other day. Waking up at 6:30, hungry and curious. She took a few moments later in the morning to examine her basket. She played with the Easter lilies on our dining room table (despite my efforts to stop her), and finally decided that she was most interested in the small bunny that clucked like a chicken. The reason I had her on the dining room table, was to take pictures. She was so cute in her new Easter dress…Roger calls in her “Gone with the Wind” dress. Originally, the idea was to take pictures of her outside in our garden, but a late season rain foiled those plans and I settled for our lilies inside the house as the backdrop, instead. Later, after a third change of clothes, we loaded her up, picked up our friend, Vickie, and drove up to Colfax in the pouring rain for a delicious dinner with friends. We ate too much, got home too late, and were way too exhausted, but we still got a few minutes after we put Kaelyn down to listen to the storm and enjoy a few moments with each other. All in all, another successful family holiday!

The rest of the weekend was also good. Originally, the rainy weather put me in a bad mood. We have been trying to finish up the fireplace in our backyard for several weeks now and it normally doesn’t rain too much in the spring here, so I’ve been cranky that after beautiful weather throughout the week, it always seems to rain on the weekends. But, there’s always a silver lining. Because we couldn’t work outside, we were able to get things done in the house, and spent a couple of hours together playing racquetball in the gym on Saturday. I’m not a racquetball player and was worried that playing with me would frustrate Roger. But, he’s rusty, and I’m not as bad as I thought I’d be so that kind of evened us out. Being out of shape doesn’t help, but we both got a decent workout anyway. Kaelyn seemed to do ok in the Kidz Club, so we decided that we will work out together more often. It was a lot of fun.

Other than that, there’s not too much exciting news to share. Kaelyn continues to awe and delight us every day. Right now, since she’s mastered rolling over, she is working hard on sitting up. She has always enjoyed being propped up on the couch and sitting in her Bumbo so I’ve been working with her to practice sitting on her own. I’m convinced she can do it. She steadily balances herself holding on to my fingers, but when she lets go she can’t keep her balance for more than a few seconds. For some reason, she doesn’t want to balance herself by placing her hands on the floor in front of her….she’d much rather just hold on to me. I keep reminding myself that even though she’s six months old, her adjusted age is just over 4 ½ months, so when she masters these skills according to her age, she’s actually ahead of schedule. Part of me is excited to see her grow, learn how to sit, and eventually crawl, but at the same time, I’ve very aware of how quickly this time passes and as she develops, keeping her safe will be more challenging. I won’t be able to sit her on the floor and know that she will stay there…already she scoots all over our family room. Crawling will just make it easier for her to get in trouble. Still, I can’t think of anything more rewarding than watching my child grow, learn, and discover the world around her. I am truly Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment